Since I have a lot to do tonight, I want to get this post out quickly (while it’s on my mind). I’ve decided to try my hand at illustrating as many of these points as I can - they say that a picture is worth a thousand words, after all. (Note: This ended up taking a long time.) I’ll tackle this in a more “traditional” format sometime soon.
Disclaimer: This post is not an attempt to attack any individuals involved in advocating for music education. Instead, I want to take this opportunity to challenge the “best practice” assertions that people use to explain their advocacy strategies. As an elected official to my state MENC chapter, I DO believe that the efforts of groups like MENC are key if we are to continue to share our love of music with children.
As always, enjoy, comment, and share!
If you like this post, consider checking out the rest of my blog. There are no stick figures, but plenty of articles and lesson ideas that support the central premise of the cartoons below. Click HERE for the front page and HERE for the Lessons page. Get updates on Facebook, Twitter, or into your RSS feed.
Also, visit the online magazine I co-edit, Leading Notes. We’ve got a lot of GREAT content for those interested in music education.
(Did I mention I can’t draw?)
(Read below the break for the exciting conclusion!)
Take a look around the ol’ blog while you’re here!
Remember to visit Leading Notes for essays, videos, podcasts, and other stuff related to music education.
Some additional thoughts on advocacy from my blog (and Leading Notes):
- My “State of the Profession Address” from the inaugural issue of Leading Notes.
- Dewey’s BEAUTIFUL speech on the importance of arts education.
- What exactly is “traditional” in music education?
Want updates from me? (Of course you do!)
- mobile-optimized-web-site reblogged this from teachingmusic
- small-business-apps reblogged this from teachingmusic
- hotel-bookings-online reblogged this from teachingmusic
- latrena-palmer reblogged this from teachingmusic
- kinect-for-school reblogged this from teachingmusic
- dating-channel-islands reblogged this from teachingmusic
- lewesde reblogged this from teachingmusic
- business-news-time reblogged this from teachingmusic
- business-news-time likes this
- seomarketingmaster likes this
- michael-powers likes this
- ginthasaurus likes this
- puramlitora likes this
- teachplaysing reblogged this from teachingmusic and added:
- teachingmusic posted this